Monday, April 1, 2013

Birthday presents /rambling

I have neglected my blog for too long. Well, I just haven't felt like writing this year; not really. I've been posting short messages on Tumblr, but that's about it. Okay, so, I'm just going to start writing random things and let me think on screen to myself.

So. My friend's birthday was just last week (it feels like it's been at least a year since then already) and he just had a small gathering, which was a nice change from parties with 20+ people. Unfortunately, his birthday present didn't arrive on time (poor planning on my part), and due to the easter holiday weekend, there have been further delays in the shipment, so I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

So. For the first time this year, I have managed to buy a present on my own! In the past, I have almost always purchased a separate gift for my close friends, but this year that just hasn't been happening. Let me think ...

Rob: I was originally going to chip into the subwoofer, which was the big group present, but at the last minute, one of my friends asked if I wanted to chip into an iPad keyboard instead, and I agreed, simply because it would just be me and 2 other friends chipping into that gift, whereas there were 10+ people chipping in to the subwoofer. I figured Rob would probably remember who chipped into the keyboard better than the subwoofer. Is that sort of selfish? Wanting to be remembered? Anyhow.

Rossie: I wanted to get her my own birthday present (I've never chipped into a group gift for Rossie), and was planning on buying her some T2 tea. On the day I planned to purchase her present though, I happened to meet up with two friends; one who was close to her, and one who wasn't. The one who was close to her had previously asked if I wanted to chip into a stethoscope, and I told him I'd think about it. Butttttt he took that as a 'yes', so I sort of had no choice to chip into the stethoscope (along with a few other close friends of ours). But I still wanted to get Rossie something separate, you know? We've been friends for 9 years now I think? And I just wanted something more personal. So I went shopping for my tea, and the non-close friend asked if he could chip in. Because the stethoscope was meant to be kept a secret, I agreed in the end, and the other friend ended up chipping in too. So it was sort of weird. My friend and I were chipping into two separate (small) group gifts, which seemed stupid to me. I guess we weren't left with much choice though.

Paul: So for Paul, once again I was planning to get my own gift, but I happened to be with another close friend the day I went shopping. She saw a nice pair of Toms shoes, so we just got him that as his gift.

Esther: Oh. So I did get her my own gift, but she took a picture of what she wanted, and I got it for her. There was no thinking involved, it was just a practical gift. I think that's the way most of my gifts are; sentimental or expensive/practical. Actually they're usually pretty expensive (considering we're uni students) but it just never seemed to matter - because they're my close friends, and the money I spend once a year on them isn't anything close to even one billionth of their worth to me.

And Jonno: Well, I'm sure no one reads my blog any more, but just in case, I won't write what it is. Because, you know, it hasn't arrived yet, like I said earlier in the post. Well, I thought long and hard about what to get him. I DID buy a hoodie for him, but it really didn't meet my standards/expectations, and so I sort of just gave it to him. Not as a gift, but just .. something on the side. That's it. I wanted to get him shoes, but realized that someone had given him a pair the previous year, and it seemed like the easy way out. I wanted to get him clothes, but being the fashionista that he is, I thought I'd probably pick some horrendous piece of clothing that he would hate. And cologne seemed silly since I gave him Joop cologne 2 years ago. I almost ended up chipping into a gift with the other guys, but they were just going to take him shopping and let him pick something nice for himself. That didn't seem fair because, while Jonno may have found something nice for himself, no thought whatsoever was put into that gift, and Jonno is definitely worth more than that. Well actually, I think the guys did think about it, and they thought it was a thoughtful gift because it means Jonno could get something he actually wants. *sigh* Maybe I'm the wrong/weird one here. I guess the amount of thought you put into a gift just translates differently from person to person.

Anyway, in the end, I found something. On my own (sort of). And I got it myself. So I guess I'm proud of myself for that.

Oh wow, now it's time to have dinner. Next time I blog, I'll write the highlights of my year so far :)

1 comment: