I wonder if people really think through what they're offering and expecting when they make promises, whether it's between you and your conscience, or you and a friend. There are those "promises" that you make as a passing comment, such as "I promise I won't be late!" when really, there might be a greater chance that you will be. And then there are those promises that we hope will last til they or we've reached our expiry date, for example the promise of a marriage, or even the promise to keep a secret .. well, a secret.
Actually, I consider keeping secrets to be one of the most sacred kinds of promises one can make. If I told a friend my secret, and told them not to tell anyone, I would expect them to take it to their grave unless I revealed it to everyone else first. I wouldn't expect them to tell their sibling about it, nor their pet, definitely not other close friends and not their parents either. It's funny - I'm quite open about myself, and honestly if you put together everyone's knowledge of me, you'd have my whole life story. Just as how I would expect other people to respect my privacy and trust in them, I would do my all to keep their secrets to myself.
har har. I'm being such a hypocrite. Let me make a correction - I am a horrible person who only truly values the secrets of people I am close to. Back in middle school, I used to go to Rossie every day and tell her "Hey, this is meant to be a secret, but ..." and let her in on everything I knew, because I thought we were so close that my knowledge was her knowledge and her knowledge was my knowledge. But at least when she told me something personal, I wasn't the one who ever revealed or confirmed anything to do with it. Oh how we've drifted though. It's just me.
I. have. issues. I want to be more of an extrovert. I don't like that I'm always analyzing my relationships with every. single. person. in existence.
P.S. to Tommy's Day 2 music post - yes, I am actually doing the 10 day song challenge. One song a day. And perhaps one non-music related post per day too. Keep up.
"Hey, this is meant to be a secret, but ..."
ReplyDeletethat line got me scared for a sec =,=;;;;;;;;
you know that i'm a VERY closed person and you are like the only person i ever told my secrets you know.
^ haha well being the close friend that you are to me, I haven't told anyone anything so don't worry ==
ReplyDelete