You walk into a library
a bookstore
or even a plain bookshelf.
You scan the book spines in search of a title which catches your interest
I guess this is how the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" came by.
Literally.
But it's funny, just how often this occurs in everyday life.
At uni, work, on the bus, sports clubs, nightclubs.
But you don't want to take the majority of the books out of their comfortable nest.
Most of the time, I just don't want to be surprised by the contents
because sometimes it brings me out of my comfort zone.
Everyone has different tastes in books.
Some enjoy picture books - expressed simply, but complicated to understand.
How about those thick novels with minuscule writing?
And oh. What about those thin books written in Comic Sans writing in huge fonts?
Of course, even this
is all based on how a book is presented.
But even after reading the blurb, and scanning through discussions and reviews online
sometimes you just don't want to bother.
It doesn't seem worth your time.
Other times, you'll pick up a book
maybe flick through a few pages
try to force your way to the end
but it just. doesn't. work.
Of course, you'll never know whether it was worth it or not
because you never read to the last period and space of the book
leaving you full of regrets, or perhaps much needed relief
for being able to put it down;
for being able to escape.
One day, I want someone to pick up my book;
someone who won't scribble all over it, making it unpresentable to anyone else;
someone who wants to read every last letter of it;
someone who understands every comma, every semicolon and every exclamation;
someone who is willing to search for my book - in every library, in every bookstore and on every shelf;
someone who will never forget about my book, even if they suddenly do find another seemingly interesting one;
someone who can smile at the content, regardless of whether they're at the depressing chapter, or the sunshine-filled page.
Because as a whole, it was worth it.
And one day, I hope to pick up theirs.
I'll weigh it in my hands, and ask myself
"Is this really the right book?"
because the indecisive me really isn't good at making decisions.
But once I have finally decided that it is right
I will take out my invisible, fragile key,
click it into place,
and open my book.
It's secretly half filled with empty space
most books probably are
but like I said, you can't judge a book by its cover.
I'll take their book,
not expecting a fairytale
not even hoping for a fairytale
and place their book inside mine.
Hopefully,
just hopefully
their book will fit perfectly.
No comments:
Post a Comment