Thursday, June 21, 2012
Thank god for Maxim
THIS. I know most people think lowly of instant coffee, but it has literally saved me tonight. Not so much from the dangers of sleep (I think I'd need a lot more caffeine than what's in here), but more so from the horrifying smell of burnt chicken and smoke in the house.
This morning, I left quite early so I could go to the State Library of Queensland to study.. It's the only place where I truly focus on nothing other than studying because there's simply nothing else to do there, unless I'm with friends, in which case my studying is slightly hindered but nonetheless I get more done there than I would ever do at home. Anyhow that's beside the point.
I had just boarded the train when Mum called (while on her way to work) and was rambling a bunch of words I couldn't understand.
Mum: Are you already on the train?
Me: Yeah...?
Mum: Can you call your sister and tell her to turn the stove off? I LEFT IT ON!
Me: Okay..
This conversation was followed by me alternating calls between my little sister's mobile, my older sister's mobile and the home phone for a consecutive 15 minutes or so - and no one picked up. I couldn't believe it. Our home phone is incredibly loud, and it absolutely irks me when I'm sleeping and someone calls it, because it's like having an alarm clock held next to your ears. Well apparently, my sisters are heavier sleepers than I thought because they didn't wake up until the house was supposedly filled with smoke and smelt a hundred times worse than it currently does.
You might be thinking, 'Wouldn't the smoke alarm have gone off?'. Yeah, it would have .. if my parents hadn't shut it off years ago. It used to always start howling the moment my mum began cooking certain meats and soups, so she decided it'd be better if we didn't make use of the smoke alarm at all.
Thankfully the house is still here and nothing burned down (except the pot, probably). But the entire house smells like ... burning. Oh gosh, I felt like throwing up from the moment I stepped into the house, all the way til a few minutes ago. That's because a few minutes ago, I discovered that we had this Maxim instant coffee, and the smell of it overpowered the burning smell.
Oh thank you, creator of Maxim coffee. You have saved me so much time to study instead of throwing up.
(But the fact that I wrote this blog at this time just proves how well I procrastinate at home, even on the night before the exam.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment