Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Me VS World


E X H A U S T E D

When does everything become too much to handle? There are millions of people who live each day without even being able to fill their tummy completely, and having to work at the same time. I know. But just because I'm not in the same dire situation, it doesn't mean that I can't complain about how tired I am, with juggling work and uni. Every single day, I wake up at 7am or earlier to make it to work or uni on time. Each working day, I work my ass off because no one else bothers to do anything, and so I work harder to make my life easier at work. See the contradiction there? And every day at uni, I have to sit through tedious lectures, trying to focus on the content at hand, but in reality wondering how long it's been since I last checked the clock - and most likely, it's been less than 5 minutes since the last time.

Work at McDonald's. For any of you readers out there (particularly the Aussie ones) I'm going to give you a few hints and tips about McDonald's and share some of my knowledge from working at Maccas. I hope that you make the life of at least one Maccas crew person's shift slightly easier to handle. Okay so it's more of a rant but trust me. If you worked there, you would understand.

1. Do you know how to order properly?
  • Are you ordering a meal, or a single burger/wrap item? Mention the word "meal" before or immediately after the name of the burger/wrap.
  • If you're ordering a meal, what sized meal are you ordering? Don't assume that we'll know.
  • If you're going to order a grill (ie change the ingredients of your burger/wrap/etc) then tell us whether it's in a meal or not before listing all the changes. It's a pain in the ass when you don't.
  • If you're ordering a meal, what drink do you want? You would think that if people don't specify a drink, then obviously they would want the most popular drink - Coke. But no, some people want orange juice. Others want Sprite without ice. Do you think we can read minds?
  • If we're holding our hand out to you to take your money, don't throw your money at us, and don't put it on the counter. Our hand is there for a reason.
  • Use some manners. It's not hard to say 'please' or 'thank you'. We are required to smile at every single customer, say farewells and greetings, take your order, grab your food and drinks and apologize for most things which aren't even our fault. Is it too much to expect some manners and respect?
  • If you can't speak English then fuck you. I'm sorry, but you just make our job a living hell sometimes. Next time, come with a friend who can speak the language. Don't be mistaken - I'm Korean. But seriously guys. English.
 Some things you didn't know about Maccas:
  • Our products are real. Real eggs. 100% beef. 100% chicken. 100% fish. All from reliable suppliers like Ingham's. They're not pig intestines, powder or whatever other myth you've heard.
  • The coffee beans used in the espresso pronto machine are the same as the ones used in the McCafe machine. The only difference between the coffees is that one is made by the machine, the other is made manually by a person (respectively).
  • Yes, there are small cockroaches in the restaurant (not the huge ones you get at home). But get over it, even the most high-class restaurants have cockroaches - it's something that we just can't fully control.
  • We get two secret shoppers every month, assessing us on our attitudes/behaviours, total experience times, fresh food, etc. We're not the top fast food restaurant for no reason.
  • We're not slackers (most of the time). We get in trouble if we just stand around doing nothing (depending on the manager), hence why the restaurant's generally tidy, unless it's super busy.
  • Seniors (with a Seniors Card) are entitled to a small coffee/soft drink for free with the purchase of a burger, desert or wrap item. They are also entitled to 10% off all McCafe orders.

I used to have a lot of things to complain about, but I guess I'll leave it there. People should learn how to order food. It annoys me when they can't order properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment