Tommy can also contribute to this blog when he feels like it.
Yeah, just letting it be known. =]
I think that there's definitely a point where liking becomes love, and I guess once you actually do love someone, you would understand the difference. Maybe that's a fact that everyone knew, but for those rare people out there who haven't even liked anyone as more than a friend, this may possibly a new concept that one could only ever dream of. Trust me, you'd think it to be impossible but I still have some friends who have never liked someone of the opposite (or even same) gender and felt anything different and unique towards them. I used to wonder why it really mattered whether one just really liked someone, or if they loved them. I then learnt that 'love' is an extremely powerful and strong word. I think that I often naturally associate the word 'love' with unconditional love. Unconditional love is so hard to give, and so rare to receive. Your parents love you unconditionally, because you are their product; their flesh and upbringing. But friends .. I don't think there are many friends who love each other unconditionally. Well that's only because I perceive this kind of love to be the everlasting kind, which will never change unless you get amnesia or some form of permanent memory loss. When you ask yourself "If so-and-so did this, would I love them any less?" and the answer is "Yes", then I don't think that this is a form of unconditional love. Even achieving this between couples is so difficult. Hmm but it's a nice feeling to know that someone could care so dearly for you. It's really more than having a safety blanket around you all the time, but that's the feeling you get I suppose. Gradually you begin to accept that it's there forever and so if something were to interrupt it then your whole world would come tumbling over because you would realize that despite what you thought, it wasn't unconditional love - it was just a love that was there for a period of time, but changed into something else. Yeah, that is definitely a traumatizing experience..
I find it so easy to say that I love my friends, because I believe it to be true. But to say it to anyone who's anything more or less than just a friend seems so much more difficult. Actually, thinking about it more I think it's easy to say collectively about all my friends. But just then I thought about my friends individually and I suppose .. yeah, one would have to be very close for me to say that I love them. I guess that's another way I can tell how close I am to someone, I would only hope that they felt the same way back to me.
i dont think its possible for one to stop loving someone sudddenly. especially in the face of an unforseen event. when so-and-so does something~ i think what they lose is respect and trust? which the other person may see as reasons to stop loving so-and-so?
ReplyDeletei guess one way to judge how much you love a person is to see how much they can hurt you :S
its sad to think that majority of our love is conditional. but that doesnt mean its not significantly earthshattering?=] ♥you liz~
x
Hmm even if it's not sudden, I think that love can gradually fade. I was only using the "love someone less if they do blah" as an example to demonstrate what unconditional love is not ><" Mmm but yes, your method of judging how much someone means to you is so true. It's like the difference between being rejected by a workplace, compared to being rejected by your crush. Obviously both hurt, but being rejected by the person would be more painful (as opposed to being inconvenient if you're rejected by work?).
ReplyDelete